Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Waiting for Melatonin to kick in.

I am thinking of dropping out of nursing school and endorsing Melatonin. How much money does Tiger Woods get from Nike?? (does Tiger Woods do Nike... I don't even know, but you get my drift.)
Let me start over. I have always been an insomniac. I could get some sleep during the day but school and all that stuff doesn't allow for that kind of schedule. Even as a baby I would only sleep days and not much at all in a row (Sorry mom). Elementary school, no sleep. High school, yeah right.
It didn't really catch up to me too much until I started back up at college. I was working a full time job, 8-5 style and a nights and weekends job as well as squeezing in some full time school. I would take classes starting at 7am and then rush to work. Back to school on my lunch break then rush back to work. 2 nights a week I took 2 night classes. I don't know why I even had an apartment. I was never there (but boy was it cute). Did that for 4 semesters and got into nursing school. Barely worked but always studied or was at the hospital all the time. And to top it off I was expected to retain information and be intellectual and inject drugs into people's veins (and not kill them).
First semester of nursing school ended and I picked back up working like a maniac. I began to notice (years after my friends and fam did... sorry again guys) that I was awfully moody. Not like, moody.... but MOODY. Crying at the drop of a hat, being extremely pissed off, depressed, excited, happy, crying again.... cycling through these emotions daily or even hourly. And not to mention, I looked 10 years older than I was.
A good friend told me to try Melatonin. I was skeptical of course. Rx meds didn't work, OTC sleep aides didn't work, even fucking benedryl didn't work. Like some natural shit would work. But I was desperate.
Down to the local Rite-Aid I go and buy 3mg tabs. Pharmacist said that it would not interact with my BCP and not to take more than 6mg. This was a Friday night at about 5:30. I sped home and popped 2 pills and got into bed pretty excited. 16 or 18 hours later I woke up, only because I rolled from my back to my stomach and almost wet the bed. ha ha ha... still cracks me up to this day.
Blah blah blah fast forward to now and I love Melatonin. I'm still moody on occasion (especially if you are and idiot) but I sleep like a baby. Well not like I did when I was a baby but like, those babies that sleep a lot, you know.
Oh and fyi, I don't take 6mg at once any more. I usually take 1/2 of a 3mg tab. So yeah, to sum it all up... I spend a lot of my time waiting for the Melatonin to kick in...

Oh and big drug companies, if you need a spokesperson, just let me know. I am your gal. And I don't charge as much as Tiger Woods.

No comments: